Thursday, March 11, 2010

Theft at T.R.'s Sagamore Hill

I don't think it is a stretch to say that Teddy Roosevelt was one of the coolest guys ever -- if you don't believe me, check out this entry on Mental Floss or ask my sister Kate. It doesn't come as a surprise that a neat guy like T.R. would have a very neat home. Last spring, I had the opportunity to visit Sagamore Hill, his residence in Oyster Bay, Long Island and now a National Historic Site. I was particularly struck by the Trophy Room, where visitors have an opportunity to view some of Roosevelt's most prized possessions, including animal trophies and skins. Some of T.R.'s trophies are also exhibited in bedrooms and parlor spaces as well.

On March 9, the AP reported that an object was stolen from Sagamore Hill on February 22: a 15-inch walrus tusk that is one of a pair displayed on the fireplace mantel in a second-floor bedroom. The National Park Service and police are investigating and the item has been place on the FBI's stolen art list.

I love the headline that has accompanied this story: "Thief Sneaks Softly, Carries a Big Walrus Tusk out of Teddy Roosevelt's New York Home."


2 comments:

  1. I have...no idea...who might be behind that crime. I bought these tusks at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... I love this crossover post. I think this theft's headline was written by the great-grandson of the dude who penned, "Did Not Like Her Tresses: So Miss Goldman Sought to Have the Color Changed. Result Was Disasterous, for, from a Rich, Titian Red the Hair Took on Various Colors Not Found in the Rainbow; the Young Woman Lost Her Suitor, and the Whole Matter May End in Suit Against Hairdresser.”

    ReplyDelete